Saturday, May 9, 2009

Graduation Time!


This time of year means many graduations and lots of cake! This was my first time doing a graduation cake and I hope I get to do many, many more. This was for a Chadron State College grad and the school's emblem was requested on the cake, as was a very specific color - maroon. With some help from my graphic artist friend, we found that maroon is different from burgundy in that it has more blue in it. I ordered Americolor's "maroon" but found it to be nearly the exact same color as Wilton's "burgundy". I used both to make the cake, but added blue to them to get the color right. The cake is a half sheet cake - half is red velvet cake with cream cheese filling and half is white cake with strawberry filling. It is covered with vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream and decorations are done in regular buttercream and fondant. I hope they like it!