Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!




Perhaps someday if I get really good at cake decorating, I will look back at this cake and think that it wasn't that great, but right now I am so proud of this cake! This is my favorite cake that I have done so far!

My inspiration for this cake came from the cover of the May issue of Family Circle magazine. I loved the flowers and the colors together and thought, "Why can't that be on a cake?!" I had checked out Toba Garrett's Professional Cake Decorating book and used it to help with making this cake. It is a fantastic book and I highly recommend it no matter what level of cake decorating you are at!

The cake is a 9" white chocolate cake with chocolate ganache filling. It is frosted with vanilla Swiss Meringue buttercream. I was very proud of how smooth I was able to get the icing! I made the flowers from a 50-50 gumpaste/fondant mix and used my pasta roller to get the paste super thin for the rose petals. The lilacs were really, really time consuming to create! This was my first time making flowers on a wire like that too - then putting them all together with floral tape to actually look like a panicle of flowers - not easy!

I left the cake without a top border because I wanted to show off my smooth icing job with the squared edges! I used Toba's book to help with the writing also. All in all, I am very happy with this cake and I hope my mother loves it as much as I do! To all the mothers out there, I wish you a very happy Mother's Day!